Debugging custom applications and support for custom applications
While Relativity provides developer environments, tools, and APIs to enable building applications, Relativity does not provide any bespoke developer services for troubleshooting, debugging, or overall consulting on custom development. If you are encountering errors or unexpected behaviors, this topic will help you troubleshoot your application.
Troubleshooting for all extensibility points
Unit tests are your best tool for verifying the behavior of your application. Without unit tests, it is not possible to confirm the root cause of a potential defect. Full unit test coverage of the affected code is required.
Logging provides essential information about how your application is running in Relativity. You must use the Relativity Logging helper to create the logs
Logging levels can be adjusted in Sandboxes to view all information during development and troubleshooting using the EDDSLogging database. In RelativityOne production instances only Warning, Error, and Fatal errors will be available by default via Log Extractor. Please contact our Support team through our Support page if you need to temporally adjust your logging levels for troubleshooting.
- Log the code ingress: the part of your code that Relativity calls into to start executing your logic. It will help verify that your code is being executed in the correct order.
- Log the code egress: the last part of your code that is executed before handing control back to Relativity. It is very helpful to verify that your code is done being executed.
- Log all exceptions. If you are encountering unknown behavior within your application, wrap the top level of your code stack in an Exception and log it.
- To narrow down where an issue may be occurring, create logs:
- at key points in your application logic
- at the start and end of class methods
- when important data is retrieved or calculated
- when you call other APIs
Relativity provides Visual Studio Templates for most Extensibility Points. These APIs, Agents, and Custom Pages are guaranteed to work out of the box. If you are having trouble getting your application to work, start from a raw template, and build up your application in several steps so that you can determine where it is encountering issues.
Troubleshooting specific extensibility points
|Extensibility Point||Troubleshooting steps|
|Non-UI Event Handlers||
If you believe that you have encountered a defect in how Relativity is executing your custom application, please contact our Support team through our Support page.
Please include the following information with your request, or Relativity will not be able to correctly handle your issue:
|If you are creating a(n)||Provide details on|
|Custom application of any kind||
|Custom API, or consuming a Relativity API||